Saturday, January 18, 2014

January 19, 2014

2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

First Reading: Isaiah 49:3,5-6
   Thus says the LORD: "Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, Upon whom I have put my spirit; he shall bring forth justice to the nations, Not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street. A bruised reed he shall not break, and a smoldering wick he shall not quench, Until he establishes justice on the earth; the coastlands will wait for his teaching. Thus says God, the LORD, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spreads out the earth with its crops, Who gives breath to its people and spirit to those who walk on it: I, the LORD, have called you for the victory of justice, I have grasped you by the hand; I formed you, and set you as a covenant of the people, a light for the nations, To open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness."
Responsorial Psalm: 40:2,7-8.8-9.10
Response: Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
  I have waited, waited for the LORD, and he stooped toward me and heard my cry. And he put a new song into my mouth, a hymn to our God.  (Response)
   Sacrifice or offering you wished not, but ears open to obedience you gave me. Holocausts or sin-offerings you sought not; then said I, “Behold I come.”
(Response) 
   “In the written scroll it is prescribed for me, to do your will, O my God, is my delight, and your law is within my heart!” (Response)
   I announced your justice in the vast assembly; I did not restrain my lips, as you, O LORD, know. (Response)

Second Reading: 1 Corinthians 1:1-3
   Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, to the church of God that is in Corinth, to you who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be holy, with all those everywhere who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Gospel Reading: John 1:29-34
   John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. He is the one of whom I said, 'A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.' I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel." John testified further, saying, "I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain upon him. I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit.' Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God."

Reflection: Fr. Sahaya G Selvam
   John the Baptist had a clear understanding of his mission in life. He knew why he was born during that particular time in human history and in that particular place in the universe. His waiting ends when “the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness. He went into all the region around theJordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins,” and saying: “Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight” (Lk 3:3-4).
   John would prefer to say, “I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandal” (Jn 1:26-27). And when at last Jesus appears on the scene, John recognises him, and points him out as the Lamb of God. Now he can exist. His full-life will be crowned with a martyr’s death. It is the culmination of his prophetic role in challenging the powers that be.  We may not be called to witness to Christ by our death. But surely we are called to live our lives fully witnessing to Him.